Monday, April 4, 2011

"What time am I supposed to be at work today?!?"


Week 10
This week I can equate myself to working a 55 hour flex position (if I ever actually took my lunches) because my hours were 0900–1800 Monday, 0600–1530 Tuesday, 0800-1730 Wednesday, 0600-1030 and 1400-2030 Thursday, 1000-1900 Friday, and 0700-1830 Saturday.  Yes, it was a FULL week, and my body hates me for it, but it was great to see some things (like openings, night trainings, and weekend SAC fieldtrips) that I would not be able to experience otherwise.

There is a bug that has been going around for the last week and I am so ready for it to be out of everyone’s system.  One of the kids threw-up at SAC on Monday, and the below photo was from the center after the event, lol.  Extra hand washing is a must this week!

Caution tape around the reading center...

Tuesday morning I experienced my first opening in SAC.  I was able to use some of my “play therapy” skills including tracking and returning of power to really support the play of a little girl who was in the center alone for half an hour, and while "cooking me breakfast" she shared how several of her friends are moving soon and how she is scheduled to move in the near future.  I only learned what a “pack-out” was a few weeks ago (when they come to pack all of your household furnishings for shipment to your next location) and what PCS means (permanent change of station) and yet this terminology is present in the play of a seven year old.  It was a wonderful interaction, and I like the time like that am I able to spend with the kiddos.

School Age Care Program

After opening up the center we had an Easter meeting and, I think, we finally set a schedule and arranged a plan of action for the day.  Now it will be happening in Hario and there will be no big Egg Hunt, but pretty much everything else we originally wanted (other than a stage and music) will be happening.  I had an amazing lunch of Indian food, and then spent the last few hours I was on the clock until 3pm doing paperwork and the like.  Then I crashed when I got home because it has been awhile since I was up before 5am!

AMAZING Indian food!!!!

Wednesday afternoon I lead my 4-H training with the SAC staff.  I know that they think I am just giving them more paperwork, and more assignments, but I think that it will beneficial in the long run.  Hopefully they understand why the 4-H programing is important and that it shouldn’t be just another “something” to fill the time.  I know that all of the children in the center are very involved in activities, and I wonder if there is some way for them to open up the 4-H club to children who are not enrolled in the program, as I think those children could benefit greatly.  I presented them with the idea, and we’ll see how it turns out.  At tonight's Girl Scout meeting we honored one of the little girls who was PCSing this Friday to Key West.  I hope she makes the adjustment well, and that she finds a girl scout troop there so she can feel at “home”.

Thursday I arrived to staff the opening hours.  I really enjoy the mornings because they are laid back.  Although breakfast always happens at the same time, there are typically no formal arts and crafts or organized activities, and it is almost completely child directed.  And with only a few children present it is very easy to have one-on-one interactions with them with I love.  After the children left for school I spent some time compiling my survey statistics and then gave my feedback on the great beige/brown molding debate.  It turns out that, due to funding, most of our design ideas were nixed for the teen center so we are down to just a just beige and brown walls and trim.  This is not something that is going to me finished in my time here, but I hope that I can see photos of it in the months to come when it is finally done.  Also the possibility of a furlough was addressed, and possible other changes to the Easter event...

Friday I woke up early and participated in the CPO’s Birthday 3K run.  In my pink running shorts I stuck out against the navy guys and girls in their official PT gear, but it was a lot of fun, and I was even able to help a little bit in the event which was put on by MWR gym staff.  Because of that event I worked a later day today and came in from 10am – 7pm.  The day was spent talking about what would be needed to keep our programs operational if a GS furlough does occur, and working on more of the center statistics.  Today also involved epic April Fools jokes between staff members culminating in fake write-ups.  I attended the elementary school talent show, and then lead a stress-relieving activity at the teen center involving a butcher-paper and spit wads…it was a lot of fun, and started some good discussions.  Then I went home and crashed from my physically exhausting day.
Navy Photo - warming up.  I'm in the back, lol!
Navy Photo -
The 7th Fleet Band preformed colors for us that morning!
Ending the race...
I got 2nd in my division (out of two)
Stress wall after the spit wads!
So much fun!
Talent show!
In the middle of a massive April Fools joke.
I, of course, was in on all of the jokes that day! 
Fake write-up.  It took the best lying ever
for me to convince them it was real!

Saturday was also a workday...see the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment