Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Adventure Ends (with a 38 hour day)

Friday morning, after about four hours of sleep, I got up early and attempted to go to Mass with Lauren’s mom.  We got there in time, but I think because it was a Friday in Lent mass was not taking place.  

Downtown Church

We enjoyed a smoothie at pucks, and then I got locked out of my apartment, but eventually I was able to finish up everything in my apartment and I made the hike to the “blue bus” stop. 

Outside Pucks!  (Last meal in Japan!)

I boarded my transportation to Fukuoka airport and that went without a hitch.  My first airport had free wireless internet, which was great.  

Sticker in my passport - I was only a
"Temporary Visitor," so sad!
Playing on my computer...

The flight was bumpy, but I made it to Tokyo in one piece.  Once in Tokyo I had to get my tickets to Dallas and Baton Rouge and go back through security.  

Passport and my 3 tickets

They determined that a doll I brought back with me was “suspicious” and were convinced there was a liquid in it (which there was not).  After several more scans they let me through, but I still had to get checked again when I boarded the plane.  Then I got stuck next to this guy who was all in my personal space.  He broke my TV after talking non-stop, and then when I tried to sleep he kept “checking on me” making sure I was sleeping ok.  Dude, if my eyes are closed and my headphones are on, I just want some peace!  Eventually the flight was over, but I must say my flight TO Japan went a lot smoother. 

Airline food....
Flying over the rockies! 
Geen Tea on the plane
(which I got during the worst of the turbulence...bad decision) 
Crop Circles?

In Dallas immigration and customs went fine (event if there were huge lines) and I ran to airport security in order to try to make my flight.  It turns out I had been randomly  (I suspect) selected for the full-on TSA pat down.  Turns out I was NOT carrying bombs and eventually they let me continue the run to my gate.  Once there I found out that the high winds delayed my flight coming in.  When the flight arrived, several of the passengers had been sick, to the point that they had to scrap the flight and move us to a new plane at a new gate.  Eventually I made it home at about 9 or 10pm that night - about 30 hours after starting my day!

Dallas
Lighting shot as I was flying into BTR

Japan was an amazing experience, and one I will keep with me forever!  While it was not exactly what I expected, the country exceeded my expectations, and the people, food, culture, etc. were all outstanding.  Living on a military base overseas is a unique experience for sure, and one I am so grateful to have had.  I am not sure what my future has in store for me, but I know that this experience has shown me a lot about myself and has given me lots of new skills to fall back on.  

And thus ends my experiences in the Land of the Rising Sun!  Sayonara!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment