Sunday, April 3, 2011

Week 9 in Sasebo. And yes, I'm still amazed that I'm living in Japan!


Week 9
This week we had several staff members out sick so I was utilized in ratio a few times.  While I have spent lots of time with the youth at the various centers, this week was the first time they needed me in ratio for the centers to run, and I was glad I was here for that purpose.  I spent some time in ratio in the teen center when one of our Japanese employees was off for a national holiday, and then I worked with SAC a few times due to meetings and people being out sick.  I also finished, got approved, and sent out to be administered the CDC and SAC parent surveys in order to determine hours needed at the centers.

Sign in the Commissary
This week all of the news out of Northern Japan started to stabilize and those employees who had been talking about evacuating due to family pressure requesting them to come back to the USA said they were going to stick it out.  The new normal on base includes different ships almost every day stopping by to pick up supplies before heading north and a heighten sense of preparedness.  We still have daily musters, because every employees is supposed to be accounted for incase something were to change, but it looks like most of the uncertainty is over and the recovery process can begin…even with the continuing aftershocks and worry about the nuclear situation.

"Dawn" in Kanji
On Wednesday I worked with the teens and we had a Japanese writing class put on by Mr. Hitoshi.  Learning how to write my name (or at least a version of it) in Hiragana and Kanji a fun adventure.  On Thursday I attended the ROTC demonstration at the high school…it reminded me of Cadet Kelly.  The teens did a great job, and I know there were glad to see that we, or at least Ms. Alisha, were there to cheer them on.  On Friday night I attempted to set up the “sweater machine” with one of the teens.  After many tries we eventually got it together, and managed to make three rows of a sweater before it fell off the hooks, haha.  The rest of my week included many hours on the Wii playing Michael Jackson or Wii Sports Tennis.  I enjoyed focusing on the teens this week!

The ROTC demonstration...
This weekend was also great...check out the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment