Thursday, April 28, 2011

My last week in Japan starts with Caving & Sushi!


Week 12
My last week in Japan!!!  It’s over already…bittersweet for sure!

My first task on Monday was to take apart 100 eggs that I stuffed a few days before.  Turns out those don’t get candy – they get freebies from the USO and other organizations.  Thankfully it didn’t take long at all.  

Un-stuffing a 100 twizzlers!
The three most important things I had
in Japan - my Japan cell phone, my
pouch of Yen, and my wallet with my ID

More trip drama, but I think we finally got everything set-up.  (Ratio issues and bus seat limits make this hard).  For lunch I treated myself to one last Sasebo Burger!  I did not go on the white water rafting trip today because on Friday they realized that they would need translators in every boat, and I did not fit that bill.

Real Sasebo burgers have an egg on them!

Me & my last Sasebo Burger!

Spring Break continued on Tuesday with a “caving trip” – and I use that term loosely because all we did was drive our boat halfway in the cave, touch the wall, and back out.  

Fresh Squid!!!
Dizzying shot from in the cave... 
Inside the second cave
Clear water!

But the glass bottom boat was a lot of fun because we really were about to see underwater and explore the coral reefs.  

In the glass bottom boat...
Ms. Alisha underwater! 
Our boat had a tail...
Big rock & coral reefs!
UNDER WATER!
Me in the boat...
The kids at the front of the boat.

The kids were a little disappointed because it was not the “High Adventure” caving trip we were all expecting, but it was fun nonetheless.  (And we watched National Treasure 2 on the drive.) 

One of the few movies I brought with me

When I got back to the base, I got cleaned up and then tried to help out with the MWR events on base.  The George Washington was in port, so there was a significant increase in sailors on base, but the staff had everything under control.  

Some of the tents set up on base for the visiting sailors

That evening I went out for some AMAZING sushi with Sherri, Alisha, and her husband.  The Place we went is famous, and the sushi chef is one of the best on the island.  We were there for two hours enjoying the awesome food and conversation.

Sashimi! 
Sushi Rolls
Our AWESOME sushi chef (and snails)
BLISS!
Stuffing my face, haha!
In the restaurant 
Inari
More seafood = mussels 
Beautiful dessert!
Our bar and the people we hung out with! 
The sushi restaurant!

The BEST SUSHI EVER was the perfect note to leave Japan on (sushi wise).  And yes, my mouth waters just looking at this food!

No comments:

Post a Comment