Thursday, April 28, 2011

The end is near: Last day in Japan!


Thursday was my last full day in Japan, and I made the most of it.  I went into work for the morning and tried to be productive.  A lot of that time was spent counting Easter eggs so that they would have the right amount for each age group at the event on Saturday.  Then the staff took me out for a going away lunch at the Harbor View, and I loved my sayonara doll.  

The group at my going away dinner:
Jessica (MB T&C), Me, Rhiannnon (Youth Director),
Tina (CYP Director), Taeko (Hario Gym Director,
Shannon (SLO), and Tony (Youth Sports Director)

My sayonara doll!

I packed up all my ceramics and mailed them home this afternoon, and then I went to see the Essex arrive back in port.  I did not realize that it takes such a long time to park a ship…but it was a unique experience for sure.  

USS Essex
Important people...
Waving their flags!
Such a cute sign!
Manning the rails....so cool!

I also was able to witness Lauren’s husband meet their son for the first time, and that is one of those moments I will never be able to forget!  So precious!


Lauren & baby!
A daddy's 1st kiss!
The little family...
Awe

After the ship got into port I went back up to the office for a bit and said my goodbyes.  It was hard to realize that would be my last time in the building!  I enjoyed a lovely dinner with the Ellis family, and it was great to get to know Geoffrey before I headed home (and to hold little Andy one last time).  

With Lauren & Andy after dinner

Then Sherri and her husband took me on a private tour of the Essex!  It was so cool to walk around the ship and even stand on the flight deck.  It’s quite large.  

Sherri & I
On my tour....
Chief's Mess!
The chapel....
Going in a skirt might not have been my best decision ever.
Why I would HAVE to be an officer, lol!
On the flight deck!
My bed!
Me on the flight deck!
The Medical Department! 
Water left over from the relief operation 
Welcome area?  idk
The Essex in port!

Such a wonderful way to end my time in Japan!  Thursday night I was up late packing, but eventually I got it all into my two bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment