Thursday, February 10, 2011

International Journeys


Passport and tickets to TOKYO!!!

The time between training and Japan was pretty (or should I should say insanely) busy.  Not so much on the internship side of things….more on the rest of my life side of things.  In then end I think I got everything finished that had to be done stateside, and managed to pack my life into two 50 lb checked bags and extremely heavy carry-ons.  We shall see if I made good packing choices once I make it to Sasebo.

Over Dallas

On my 1st flight of the day 
The international terminal of DFW

My treat to myself - a last meal in the states - an Einstein Bagel Veggie Out

My plane to Tokyo

Over Oklahoma (I think)


Right now I am sitting on my over 13 hour cross-pacific flight from Dallas to Tokyo.  My first flight was not without its drama.  I got to the Baton Rouge airport at 5am for my 6am flight and was immediately told that my flight had been cancelled.  After researching several flights I could possibly take, my mom ended up driving me to Lafayette so that I could catch a 7:20 flight to Dallas in order to make my original connection to Tokyo.  Hopefully that will be my only travel issue.  The food might not be great on this flight, but at least the movie/tv options are.  Since I am behind in the movie world I enjoyed seeing “Life as We Know It” and “The Social Network,” both of which I would recommend (bet you didn’t realize this blog would include movie reviews).

Sushi on the plane!
(yes, I like to take pictures of my meals, get used to it)

Over the Pacific Ocean...maybe Alaska will be my next trip?

My first glimpse of my new (temporary) country!


Update – So for all of you who were aware of the rather interesting transition required between airports in Tokyo, let me put your mind at ease.  Yes, I was required to get through immigration, collect my bags, go through customs, exchange money, find a bus, travel to another airport over an hour away, check back in, and catch my plane all within three hours…but it went off without a hitch.  

They had the English version of the same article on the neighboring page.
Pretty interesting how the change the light schedule in accordance with bus route times to make the travel faster.

Horrible photo, but this is part of Tokyo Disney

Another bad photo, but a shot of one of the huge ferris wheels in Tokyo


Everyone was so helpful along the way, and thanks to my experience navigating foreign airports I made it to the gate for my third flight with an hour to spare!  

Do you have any idea what that says?  Yeah, I didn't really either, so I just filed onto the the plane at the assigned at at the assigned time when everyone else started to.  Glad I didn't go out of order or something.

1st picture of me in Japan, sitting at my second Tokyo airport.

I also got see my first traditional Japanese toilet.  This photos are purely for your viewing pleasure.  I used an American style toilet at the airport...but check what females use on a regular basis in Japan.

A traditional Japanese toilet

The option available on the American toilet.  My favorite is the "flushing sound" which is classical music or water that covers up what you might hear in a bathroom, as women are supposedly too refined for noises.

They are VERY visual in Japan.  This amused me.


Once I made it to Nagasaki, my mentor was waiting for me by baggage and one final 45 minute drive got me to the base & checked-in to my new home by 10pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment