Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cold Walks in D.C.


Training Day 2
Sunday night’s training calmed a lot of my fears.  Having just completed a four month child life internship (I can explain more if you have questions) in Austin, Tx, I know that I can survive living alone in a new area, but it helps to know WERE I will be living.  At this point in time I still do not know the answer to that question, but meeting my supervisor helped me know that I will have support where I am headed.  The speed dating ice breaker allowed me to learn that an old Louisiana 4-H friend was also doing the internship (Aldia) and let me say hi to a National 4-H Conference friend (Alyssa).

It is definitely weird being in the National 4-H Conference Center with mostly non-4-H’ers.  Not only are many of the interns completely unaware of 4-H program, but those that do have very limited views on the organization (cows and cooking).  I am beginning to see that being a bit of an expert on 4-H, this conference center, and D.C. in general will come in handy this week.
Lindy at Monday's Breakfast
Monday’s training went well.  Although I think I can give verbatim the standard talk on the creation of 1862, 1890, & 1994 land grant universities, along with Extension and the Morrill acts, learning more about the military/4-H partnership was enlightening.  I know one of the biggest obstacles I will have to overcome during this internship will be understanding military lingo, so I appreciated learning more about military culture, and the Navy in particular.  Break out sessions offered me more opportunities to network, and I am enjoying getting to know this group of interns and mentors.  Everyone comes from very unique backgrounds, with different end goals, but all are looking forward to experiencing this particular internship program.

On Monday night a group of interns and I decided to go into D.C.  Those who know me well know that I love to play tour guide, and seeing people experience D.C. for the first time is so much fun for me, so I could not pass up on this opportunity.  
Tricia, April, & Martika on the Metro into D.C.
April in front of the Washington Monument at sunset
Flags at half staff around the Washington Monument
The White House
Martika on the Metro Ride back to Friendship Heights
Martika, Shatara, & Tricia at Friendship Height Station
 Because it was so cold (and not everyone was properly dressed) this trip turned out to be my fastest trip ever from the conference center into D.C. and back, but it was still fun to explore a bit of the mall.  We even made it back to the center in time for dinner.  (I have to mention the fact that I appreciate the conference center improvements…new dining room additions, flat screen TVs in the rooms, and some new furniture.  I hope the center continues to improve.)
The "famous" National 4-H Conference Center ice cream!

1 comment: