Friday, February 18, 2011

Grinding green tea is hard work!

In Harido at the historical tea ceremony complex.

My first full weekend in Japan was great.  Saturday I got to spend some time exploring the base and taking photos (which I always enjoy).  I'll share those photos on an "Intro to the base" post, when I get the time.  It started to snow while I was exploring, so I was advised to stay on base and not wander far.  Sunday consisted of mass, paperwork, and a trip to Hirado for a MWR trip.  The MWR trip consisted of a traditional green tea ceremony as well as BEAUTIFUL scenery.  The 45-minute drive gave me the chance to just gaze out the window at the beautiful landscape, and the ceremony took place in a building that was modeled after an 1800 tea house.  We were shown the process from start to finish, including hanging the “seasonal scroll,” creating a flower arrangement, grinding tea leaves, making a sweet potato dessert (which was delicious), and actually making the tea ourselves.  The products of our work were yummy, and I enjoyed participating in every aspect of the ceremony.

The Castle - Beautiful!

The Spa (Hot Springs).  My hands felt wonderful after a few minutes in there.

Our awesome tour guide, talking about St. Francis Xavier,
who was one of the first to bring Christianity to Japan.

The ladies who led us through the Green Tea Ceremony

Mr. Hayes (the MFLAC) showing off his flower arrangement.

Grinding green tea...we had to grind A LOT for our ceremony.

Making our sweet potato dessert.

colorful (and good)

Making my tea.

Whisking 

Look at how green that tea is!  It was soooo good!

The beautiful sky!

I love the trees over here!

Our ride...

In the bus.

The views on the drive.  :-)
I also really enjoyed getting to know the people on the trip, and I hope that I will get to participate in many more MWR trips during my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment