Monday, February 21, 2011

Ever roasted a rice cake? I have!

Bean Throwing Festival
My Rice Cake
On February 3rd, the Chinese New Year, I attended a “Bean Throwing Festival” at a local temple.  Ericko (the most entertaining tour guide ever) had mentioned the event at our Green Tea Ceremony the weekend before, and I was determined to go.  I convinced Alicia (the Teen Lead) to join me for the adventure, and her husband came along too.  Although we were the only three people to meet Ericko in Nimitz Park at the designated departing time, she was still willing to show us the ropes!  Eventually Jessica and some other individuals from the base met up with us at the temple.  We took off our shoes and sat in the temple waiting for the ceremony to start.

Walking through the Ginza

Inside the temple

Throughout the whole evening the fact that today was the Chinese New Year was never mentioned, as Japan celebrated the starting of the Year of the Bunny on the calendar New Year (if I understood everything correctly).  The ceremony consisted of traditional dancing, drum playing, and individuals who were born in previous years of the bunny throwing good luck beans that everyone fought to catch.  It was like a tame version of Mardi Gras, as people were moving VERY fast to grab the beans.

One of the costumed drummers

Drumming (Even Eriko thought it was pretty offbeat)

This guy shot a twig arrow north, south, east, & west

Dancing

Year of the Bunny individuals getting ready to throw beans.
Year of the Bunny Group Shot


Following the bean throwing we all went outside to get our rice cakes and bamboo reeds before surrounding a fire.  There the “ornaments” that were made for the Year of the Bunny celebrations earlier in the year were burned in a traditional ceremony.  Then everyone got the chance to roast his or her rice cake over the fire.  

Getting our bamboo skewers 

The group with rice cakes

Roasting Rice Cakes!

Eventually we put the rice cake into a really sweet bean soup that was different, but very yummy.  

Alicia enjoying her soup!

my bowl

Purification fountain near where we sat.

It was a really cool event and a traditional ceremony that I was glad I got to witness; and not just witness, but also in which I was able to participate.  Check out all of the beans I racked up!  Anyone want some good luck?

My lucky beans!

No comments:

Post a Comment