Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Thinking Day (and after) Adventures


As I mentioned in my previous post, Saturday was a long day for me.  The morning starting with Girl Scouts Thinking Day, which was a huge success.  There were over 100 military and Japanese Girl Scouts in attendance.  Not only were the girls able to earn their Thinking Day badges, but they also got to earn an intercultural badge.  It was great to see the girls from the various troops interacting (after they got over their shyness regarding the language barrier) and everyone seemed to have a great day.  And the food was pretty awesome.  I even had the opportunity to meet a Japanese Girl Scout leader who is in college studying in English.  Oh, and it turns out that another one of the leaders is a famous haiku writer…I’ll have to find a writing sample to share.  (Note: I'm posting pictures of the kiddos because I took them so that they could be published on FB and a few other outlets since the media did not come to the event, but let me just state that I do not want to see these pictures posted anywhere else, please and thank you.)  Here are some images from the event:

Welcome!
Our troop learned about the Congo,
so we wore traditional garments from that area.
Working together!
Japanese and American Girl Scouts
Trying to get to know each other!
PEACE!
Learning a dance...
A Japanese Girl Scout
Showing off their tattoos!
My outfit for the day...
A LARGE sampling of food
A Japanese University student who is also a Girl Scout leader!
Decorating cup-cakes!
A finished work of art!
Two of my adorable girl scouts 
Baby!!!

After Thinking Day I stopped at the local train station to take some photos of are area:

On the water...I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE water!
So glad I'm working for the Navy right now!
On the pedestrian bridge...
The Huis Ten Bosch Train Station
Inside the station

After that I headed back to Main Base and ran some errands before heading to work for the rest of the night.  Like I said, a LONG day.

Tree on base - why I love my daily walks to work.
Our Harbor
Under the water...
Japanese influence on base...
Happend to run into Diva Day at the Library
A flower outside of the CEC!

Sunday was a gross day, so we cancelled our Bio Park plans, and after brunch with Lauren, I ventured out on a fun shopping day with Alisha and Sherri!

my mini melon fanta!
The shopping "carts"
This whole country has some crazy
obsession with Minnie and Mickey Mouse
Shopping...YES!
A yummy Indian dinner.
Group Photo!  (Alisha, Me, & Sherri)

All in all it was a wonderful, exhausting weekend...just the way I like them.  Now on to week SEVEN and the second half of my experience here!

No comments:

Post a Comment