Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ode to Mardi Gras...

I decided to make a special post just about my adventure making a King Cake for Mardi Gras.  This is the one "big" holiday that I was scheduled to miss while over here, and I made the most of it.  It would not have been "Mardi Gras" without a King Cake, so I bought every ingredient on the recipe (yes, EVERYTHING since I had nothing to start with), and this is what ensued:

All of my supplies...
Receipts from the Commissary and NEX
Recipe from my favorite downstairs roommate!
Watching the West Wing
Flour!
Using a pot to mix because I did not have a big bowl, lol!
Rolling out the dough with can of icing, lol!
My mess, haha!
Colored Sugar...A MUST!
Doesn't it look yummy?!?!?
I'm hungry just looking at this...
Proof I cleaned up
(notice the sink is NOT included in the photo)
So, it was underdone the first time around
(due to issues with trying to get the dough thin enough)
and after putting it back it I ended up with lots
of melted sugar, lol!  But it was great afterwards...

For me, Mardi Gras has several different meanings.

On one end it is all about the food (hence the King Cake I felt required to make).  From crawfish and rice dressing to gumbo and jambalaya, I never eat it more than I do during the Mardi Gras season.

Then there is the religion side of Mardi Gras which is more important (or at least equally as important) to me.  This opportunity I am given to prepare for Lent and reflect on what I want to get out of the upcoming season is something I really appreciate, although I realize that usually I do not take full advantage of this time.

Mardi Gras and Louisiana Culture are fully intertwined, and this is the first year since moving to Louisiana that I did not attend or participate in at least one Mardi Gras Parade.  I can do without the beads and the elaborately decorated floats, but I did miss walking around and talking to all of the old friends I see at the local parades.

Which brings me to the real reason I was bummed that I was in Japan and not Louisiana for Mardi Gras - the people.  Mardi Gras is a "get-out-of-jail-free" card for pretty much the whole state of LA.  Most schools are out at least through Ash Wednesday, if not the whole week, and many businesses have reduced hours.  It is like the state enters "party mode."  The mood is relaxed, people spend time talking and eating instead of stressing over work projects or school reports, and we all have the opportunity to enjoy each others company, and the (hopefully) nice weather!

I am grateful for the fact I have a busy life over here, but even though I was distracted, this holiday was the first day I truly missed home.  I made the best of my time of my Mardi Gras Day in Japan as documented in the two colorful photographs below.

Yes, I used my left-over Mardi Gras
colored sugar in my tea Tuesday Morning
Wearing Purple and Green...

I have no idea where I will be for Mardi Gras next year, and while I would like to bet that I will be in the Continental United States, I don't want to close the door on any opportunities that may present themselves in the future.  Wherever I am, I know I will look forward to this day for the rest of my life, even if I do not get to spend it in Louisiana every year.  Happy (belated) Mardi Gras to all of you!

1 comment:

  1. The local parade was rained out for the first time - well since I can remember! Also, your stove model looks just like mine! Glad you were able to make the king cake and participate in Mardi Gras even through the distance. To some degree it is a state of mind as much as an event. :-)

    ReplyDelete